The Clubs announced at the 2017 Annual Meeting that David A. Smith will retire from his role as President in the Spring of 2018. Dave has led the organization since 1994, ensuring quality after-school and summer time youth development programs for Kansas City youth. He will continue with the Clubs through April 2018 to ensure a smooth and successful transition for his successor.
A former Club kid himself, Dave was hired in 1994 as president of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Kansas City by then Board Chair, Don Wagner. Under Dave’s leadership the organization has seen tremendous growth. In the near quarter century since taking the helm:
- Operating revenue grew from approximately $1M to just over $8M;
- Net assets grew from $2.5M to nearly $18M;
- The organization acquired two Units in Eastern Jackson County;
- Since 2000, five successful capital campaigns for renovation and expansion of the Clubs generated over $31M;
- The organization expanded its footprint to Johnson County with the opening of a Unit in Olathe, KS; and
- The organization began Kids Night Out, one of the most successful fundraising events in Kansas City, which has raised more than $15M since beginning in 1996.
Over the course of his career, Dave has worked with hundreds of educators, youth development professionals and community leaders. These partnerships have built initiatives that move the needle towards supporting the need for learning opportunities outside the traditional school day. He has especially focused these efforts on reaching low-income youth and youth of color with a “whole child” approach, understanding the critical role these programs play in developing 21st century skills.
Click HERE to read more about Dave and the Clubs plans for his retirement.