2014 RBI Season Wrap-Up
October baseball is here! Many MLB team, including our very own Kansas City Royals are enjoying post season play. As we cheer our Royals on to a wild card victory and beyond, let’s pause to recap the Clubs own very successful 2014 RBI season.
The 2014 season began May 19 and completed the last official game of the summer on August 10. The league had 47 teams from T-Ball (Hilton Smith I) to 18U/HS (Buck O’Neil). RBI games were played at three (3) venues; Cleveland Park, Clark Ketterman Athletic Fields and the “Historic” Satchel Paige Stadium.
The Buck O’Neil Division started with a great community outreach event for their season opener on June 1, with free Buffalo Wild Wings to the first 250 fans attending. From stilt walkers to face painting a good time was had by all as eight (8) time MLB Gold Glove winner Frank White threw out the first pitch.
Below is a list of accomplishments/milestones achieved during this past season.
- RBI 8U machine pitch team (Kings) were ranked #1 in Missouri by United States Specialty Sports Association (USSSA) for several weeks
- RBI 8U machine pitch team (Kings) place 3rd in USSSA Global World Series
- RBI 16U (Expos) win USSSA AA MO State
- RBI 16U (Expos) ranked #1 AA team in the nation
- RBI 14U (Diamond Masterz) win TOC USSSA Smoothie King tournament
- RBI Regional Jr. & Sr. teams progressed to semi-final round in regional play in Milwaukee, WI
- Coach Chris Evans (Kings) named RBI Coach of the Year
- Chanel Cooper named RBI Volunteer of the Year
- 23 high school seniors graduated on time
- 20 of 23 seniors enrolled in university – 2 enlisted into military
Andrew Turpin – Longview Community College
Anthony Pendleton – Labette Community College
Austin Green – Allen County Community College
Austin Hall – United States Navy
Austin Wegley – Longview Community College
Cameron Dean – NE Oklahoma A&M
Chas Graf – Oklahoma Panhandle State University
Damian Vela – Garden City Community College
Dion Williams – NE Oklahoma A&M
Dominic Carver – Kansas City Kansas Community College
Earl Cobbins – University of Missouri
Eric Jordan – Barton Community College
Evan Barrett – Pittsburg State University
Javon Evans – United States Army
Levi Kelsey – Longview Community College
Maurice Bell – Longview Community College
Michael Payne – Blue River Community College
Randall Buckner – decision pending
Ricky Ortiz – Kansas State
Robert Bluett – Missouri Western
Rodney Johnson – Independence Community College
Will Gibson – Longview Community College
Zach Shupe – University of Missouri
7 RBI players make Kansas City Royals Jr. (freshman/sophomore) Elite Team
- Allante’ Hall
- Bariah White
- Ben McClain
- Devin Sudduth
- Malik Stevenson
- Tavon Tusa
- William Powell
2015 will see more teams in total including girls softball teams, a focus on building stronger community partnerships particularly with Kansas City Public Schools and Charter Schools and increased partnership with the Kansas City Royals.
Look for a very exciting future for the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Kansas City’s RBI program!